Scottish family ‘being killed off’ by asbestos

20th October 2014

A Glasgow family plagued by asbestos-related deaths is now seeking financial compensation.

Both Charlie Glass, 68, and his cousin Tommy Glass, 80, are currently battling to stay alive after being exposed to asbestos throughout their working lives. Charlie’s brother Tommy and other cousin George have already passed away from mesothelioma, aged 63 and 80 respectively, dailyrecord.co.uk reports.

Bridgeton resident Charlie, a retired electrician, said: “As a family, we’re being killed off one by one. We spent years working hard to bring up families while placing trust in our employers and the government to protect us.”

Charlie’s brother Tommy died in 2011, having previously helped build Glasgow’s Victoria Infirmary operating theatre with asbestos panels. Late cousin George worked for Glasgow City Council and Glasgow Corporation, and now both Charlie and cousin Tommy suffer from asbestos-related diseases, including symptoms like pleural plaques resulting in breathing struggles.

“The first warnings about asbestos were given out in 1906 in a parliamentary report but employers didn’t protect workers or tell them about the dangers,” Charlie said. “Tragically, our story is one which affects hundreds across the country.”

Laura McCallum, a major injuries specialist at the Glass family’s law firm, Irwin Mitchell, said: “We are acting for the family but no amount of money can make up for the illness and death.”

Earlier this month, the Health & Safety Executive announced it would be giving away 200,000 asbestos safety kits as part of a £1.1 million initiative, theconstructionindex.co.uk notes.