Royal Navy veteran died of asbestos-related cancer, inquest hears
12th November 2015
A veteran of the Royal Navy died as a result of exposure to asbestos during his service, an inquest heard last week (5 November 2015).
John Scott, from West Meon, Hampshire, died at Rowans Hospice on 25 July 2015, aged 72. The cause of his death was mesothelioma – an aggressive cancer caused by asbestos exposure.
Just three days before Remembrance Sunday (8 November), Winchester Coroner’s Court heard evidence given by Mr Scott’s wife of 49 and a half years, Ivy Scott. She said that the Hampshire grandad had served on board a former World War II warship for two years, where he was positioned as an apprentice electrical engineer.
It was here that he was exposed to the deadly dust, according to Mrs Scott, as he repaired cables lagged with asbestos. He later served on a nuclear submarine for eight years, hampshirechronicle.co.uk notes.
Mr Scott’s doctor, Dr Botham, read out a statement during the inquest which revealed how John had developed a cough back in 2014 which was later diagnosed as a right-sided lung tumour. This was “in keeping” with mesothelioma, Dr Botham said.
Pathologist Dr Burnley performed the post mortem, describing the cause of death as malignant mesothelioma. A conclusion of death due to industrial disease was recorded by coroner Karen Harrold.
Mrs Scott said that she was grateful her and John had such a long time together.