Family wins damages after four-year asbestos battle
1st July 2014
After a four-year legal battle, the family of a man who died from asbestos exposure has been awarded substantial damages.
James Gallagher passed away at the age of 70 from mesothelioma, a cancer caused by asbestos exposure. His family believe that he was exposed to asbestos during his career as an instrument mechanic, reports heraldscotland.com.
Judge Lord Uist ruled that the family should receive substantial damages for the death of Mr Gallagher. The family’s lawyers, Irwin Mitchell, said that the landmark decision is important for others in similar situations, as they too will likely be entitled to damages. No other asbestos-related case in Scotland has reached such a decision before.
Elaine Russell from Irwin and Mitchell commented: “Mr Gallagher was a remarkable man and his family, like so many we act for in cases related to asbestos-related disease, were devastated by this unexpected illness and death. We are delighted with this judgement which represents justice for the family of the late Mr Gallagher.”
Margaret Ann Gallagher, Mr Gallagher’s widow, added that although no sum of money will bring her husband back, she is pleased that other families will be able to benefit from the judge’s decision, reports dailyrecord.co.uk. She said she is looking forward to the future after coming to the end of such a long legal process.