Construction workers concerned over asbestos exposure

8th July 2014

Builders are concerned about their health after they discovered asbestos at Warwick University.

Asbestos fibres were released into the air by the builders after they blasted through some desks. At the time, they were working on renovating the halls of residence on Westwood Campus. The builders were evacuated and the site was shut, with the workers’ clothes burned as a precaution, reports conventrytelegraph.net.

One worker, who did not want to be named, expressed their concern about the exposure. They said they are worried about the possible long-term effects as it’s not possible to know if the asbestos will suddenly make them ill 30 years down the line, reports constructionenquirer.com.

A spokesperson for Deeley Construction, which is the company operating on the site, said safety is of utmost importance to the business.

“We had hired a removal firm to move furniture,” the spokesperson explained. “It subsequently transpired that some of that furniture was fixed to walls which contained asbestos and once that was reported to us, work was stopped on that building and the site closed. Testing is now being carried out and the facts will be reported to the Health and Safety Executive well within the permitted time frame.”

Around 4,500 people die every year due to asbestos exposure, according to the Health and Safety Executive.